Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Our Denver Getaway





Well we did it. We took a much needed trip together JUST THE TWO OF US! It wasn't exactly the best time of year to go, what with Mitch's new work schedule and it being right in the middle of my busiest time of volleyball, but it was so much fun.



I have been going to Denver now for about 5 years to ref volleyball tournaments and coming home and tyring to tell Mitch all the stuff that I see and finally we just decided to see it together first hand. The Convention Center where I ref the games is really enormous. There is this big blue bear that stands outside and looks in the window. For the life of me I can't figure it out. It is really kinda strange.




Ever since Mitch has watched "Forrest Gump", he has always wanted to go to Bubba Gump Shrimp. Well...there is one right down the street from the Convention Center. He was in heaven. I am pretty sure that if we had done nothing else but go and eat there that the trip would have been complete. He is so easy to please, LOL. The food was actually really good and the atmosphere was a lot of fun too!



I had no idea that the Denver mint was right around the corner from where I have been going for over 5 years. We got to take a tour but they wouldn't let us bring our camera or our cell phone in. Who would have thunk that the security would be so tight at the place where they make our money? They were making pennies the day we were there. That was pretty interesting and I had no idea all that goes into it. It gave me a new appreciation for those pesky little coins.



This is perhaps one of my favorite pictures of the whole entire trip.


Ever since Mitch was a little kid he has had a fascination with trains. He loves them. We found this awesome train museum and of course we had to spend an entire afternoon there. There is not a sign that was written or a picture that was displayed that we did not stop and read and look at. There actually was a lot of cool stuff there and I even got to sit in the conductors chair and blow the whistle...pretty cool.


They had some really funky looking trains too that I have no idea what they were used for.





We then went to the State Capitol building. There on the steps is a spot where you can stand exactly one mile above sea level. Hello....it is the mile high city..












While we were walking up to the capitol I swear there was this kamakazi squirrel that kept chasing us. No matter where we went it would run after us. I wasn't sure whether to kick it or run away. It totally freaked me out... I know it looks cute and innocent but I swear it was a killer squirrel.









I don't think I have seen more beautiful mountains and scenery in my entire life. We had to stop at the rest stops on the way back home just to take pictures and appreciate the world. Heavenly Father really knew what he was doing when he created this wonderful world we live in. I forget how lucky I am to live in such an amazing place. The mountains and the colors were amazing. The pictures really don't do it justice.

5 comments:

Lewis Family said...

Looks like fun, but I beg to differ with your about me section... just 3 kids...really?

lewsgal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said...

What a fun trip! You guys are such a crack-up. Seeing Mitch in that tiny train- glad you guys have so much fun together. Thanks for sharing!

Drea said...

I'm so glad you and Mitch are so happy together! I love the pictures of all the trees with the fall colors, so pretty :)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

The squirrel was obviously just following the "nuts." HAHAHA!!

Great story.